Facilities and Equipment
The Library offers access to a useful facility and a variety of special equipment:
- Main Library (Room 8432): The main library room has large tables, study carrels, eight computers, printers, and the book and journals collections. This room is a quiet study area.
- Study rooms: Seven study rooms (in room 8432) are available on a first-come, first served basis. Under special circumstances, rooms can be reserved for a short period of time. Please ask at the circulation desk or call 262-6195 for more information.
- Information Commons/Group Study Lab (Room 8410): This room has several tables, five computers, and a projection screen for working on group projects. This room is not a quiet study area.
- Wireless Internet access: this is the DoIT wireless system. A valid NetID is required. Wireless printing is also available (see below).
- Book delivery: Books from across campus, UW-System Borrowing, or InterLibrary Loan can be delivered for pickup at the Social Science Reference Library.
- Open return: books checked out from across campus can be returned to the Social Science Reference Library.
Twenty dual-boot Mac/PC MacBook Laptops are available for 3 day checkout to faculty, students, and staff at the Circulation Desk. The laptops have Windows 8 and Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and other useful applications ready for use. For more information please call 262-6195.
Additional Library Computer and A/V Equipment
- Public computers: Thirteen desktop computers are available for use. These computers are connected to the Internet and have Microsoft Windows 7 and the standard Office 2010 applications such as Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- LCD Projector: We have one standard PC-compatible LCD projector available for 3-day checkout.
- Computer-related "extras" available for 3 day checkout:
- Mac-to-PC projector adaptors
- Optical mice
- Portable speakers
- Ethernet (Cat 5) cables
- MacBook 85W Power Adapters
- A 15W iPhone/iPod charger
- A 15 foot extension cord
- A power strip
- A standard USB Keyboard
- A basic calculator
- An "Infinity" brand USB foot pedal for use with audio transcription software.
- Two public printers (B/W and Color), with wireless printing enabled:
- B/W Printer
- Printing costs $0.07/page on standard 8.5X11 paper.
- The printer name is: SSR_B&W
- Color Printer
- Printing costs $0.60/page on standard 8.5X11 paper and $1.25/page on large 11X17 paper.
- The printer name is: SSR_Color
- B/W Printer
- DoIT Wireless Printing Instructions:
- Wireless printing instructions for PC: http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=8594
- Wireless printing instructions for Mac: http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=10185
- Scanning equipment: the library has a Scannx flatbed and document feeder scanner. Scanning is free. The scanning function produces various document types, including multi-page PDFs, TIFFs, PNGs, and JPEG files. The scanner can reproduce B/W, greyscale, and color. The scanner can email files, it can send directly to the printers, it can save to your Google Drive, or you can save to a USB "thumb" drive.
- Overhead projector: One overhead projector is available for checkout. Users must provide their own transparencies.
- Microfiche viewer: One microfiche (microform sheets) viewer is available for check out. It does not make photocopies.
- Microfilm viewer: One microfilm (microform reels) viewer is available for check out. It does not make photocopies.